The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
- What does the title refer to? From whom is Mitty’s “secret life” a secret?
- What (details, events, roles, etc.) do Mitty’s fantasies have in common?
- What (details, events, roles, etc.) do his “real life” episodes have in common?
- What specific details (sounds, situations, people, etc.) from his real existence seem to trigger and appear in his fantasies?
- Why does Mitty spend so much of his life living in his imagination? What aspects of Mitty’s real life do his fantasies compensate for, or perhaps shield him from?
- What is the relationship between the final fantasy (firing squad) at the end of the story, and all that has happened before? How is this final fantasy different? How might it represent the theme(s) of the story?